Monday, August 16, 2010

Women of United States History

The Revolutionary War notes many women who served during the battle for our country. Fighting alongside their husbands, some dressed as men in a soldiers uniform, all served as 'camp followers' to the Continental Army. Molly Pitcher of Monmouth and Margaret Corbin of Fort Washington are the most well known. Although their services gallant and notable they were not enlisted soldiers. Of the estimated four hundred women only Deborah Samson served as an official enlisted soldier of the Massachusetts Fourth Regiment for the Continental Army. Wounded during skirmishes by a sabre slash to her forehead and a musket ball to her left thigh, our gallant soldier felled her enemies. Never revealing her sex and remaining true to the duty of a soldier, Deborah served eighteen months.

Deborah Samson Gannett lived her life with perseverance. Without intention, Deborah is first of many who set the foundation for women of today.

My story Anella book 1 of 3 is a work of biographical fiction based on accounts in her life. The informative knowledge gained through my research continues to inspire me every day. The desire from this author is to not only inspire but to teach women of all ages to follow the heart of your chosen path while taking you on an adventurous historical journey through our past.

The women in our history, the unspoken heroines who lived in treacherous times prevailed without excuse to the demands of society as the 'weaker sex'. My stories celebrate the independence and diligence of our founding mothers.

4 comments:

Browneyegirl145 said...

Teresa, I love that you celebrate the strength in women rather then makeing them weak and helpless. I can't stand it when women play the victims. We are not victims. We can take our destiny into our hands just like anyone else on the planet. Thank you for celebrating women...smiles...hugs...

Tami Snow said...

I am so excited to read what you post in the future.Excuse me while I go kill of some male characters, I feel suddenly empowered.

Teresa said...

Thanks! I tell you the women in our history ROCKED!

Browneyegirl145 said...

Teresa, that is so true. Take the suffrage women who made it possible for us to be considered equal citizens. One of the things I never understood was that a woman wasn't able to even own property...and that stupid phrase,
"Little lady, let the man do that." Oh I hate that one...lol...I'm sooo very excited to read more about the women you post about!!!